Indian Railways is continuously improving its services to provide comfortable journey to the passengers. According to the latest reports, Indian Railways has announced to provide traveling facility to the waitlisted passengers in premier class trains like Rajdhani or Shatabdi in the case their ticket is booked in some other express trains. This move taken by our Indian Railway Minister would encourage travelers to get confirmed tickets on the train.
The scheme called Vikalp-an alternative train accommodation scheme would come into effect from this April 1, 2017. For now, this confirmed is available only for the tickets that are booked through online site IRCTC and seeing the response the facility would further be extended to other passengers as well.
Under this Vikalp scheme, waitlisted passengers would get confirmed seat in the alternative train if they mentioned alternative accommodation at the time of online ticket booking. No extra charge for an alternative ticket would be charged and the passengers would be asked to pay only the difference amount.
Initially, this scheme was tested on six routes and after receiving the successful response, Vikalp service would soon be provided on all train routes that are prevalent in the country.
It is believed that the scheme has been launched to initially target 1.5 lakh berths. These births are mostly those who are vacant during the trains’ lean season. Some of the popular trains go vacant despite waitlisted seats.
This ‘Vikalp’ scheme will consume these vacant seats of the premier trains. By premier, we mean Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Duronto, and many other trains that give special services like Humsafar and Suvidha. The passengers will not be asked to pay any extra charges.
As per our Railway Minister Shri Suresh Prabhu, this scheme is “passenger friendly.” He has investigated that some of the seats of the premier trains go vacant during their lean season, so its high time to fill them up with the Vikalp scheme.
It is launched for the benefit of the passengers’. So, any passenger who has booked an online ticket and is on the waiting list can now go for alternative ticket scheme to get the additional benefits of premier-class trains.
Some Facts and Figures
- Surprisingly, Indian Railways has to invest over Rs. 7,500 crores yearly to refund customers.
- Some part of this amount, almost Rs. 3,500 crores are debited to the customers’ s account due to the cancellation of tickets which were on the waiting list.
- The balance amount is reserved for RAC and canceled tickets which were confirmed but canceled due to one or the other reason.
- The passengers booking an online ticket with the option of alternative accommodation would get an SMS once their ticket is confirmed.
According to senior officials of Indian Railways, this scheme would benefit passengers and Indin Railways How?
- It will give passengers conformed tickets in premier-class trains.
- It will utilize seats that are otherwise vacant during the journey.
This Vikalp is a great scheme to provide comfortable journey to the passengers who book their ticket online.